Last night was Lancer Madness and the Tip-Off Banquet for Longwood Basketball. There was a lot of excitement around the team, as well as a lot of news and information that came out:
- Longwood is tentatively schedule to play at Richmond next year. Scheduling can always fall through this early but it the game would be Longwood’s first trip to the Robins Center since 2009. The game against the Spiders makes four known non-conference games for next year which includes a trip to Oklahoma State and home match ups with JMU and UMBC.
- A trio of recruits from Genesis Academy in Lynchburg were on campus last night for Lancer Madness:
Genesis Academy 2016’s Jahnathan Maxwell & Mustafa Lawrence, and 2017 Billy Thomas are at Longwood’s Lancer Madness tonight #VaHoops
— Vantage Hoops (@VantageHoops) October 30, 2014
Maxwell is a 6’7 forward who currently holds offers from Marshall, ODU, North Carolina A&T, and Southern Miss, as well as interest from ACC, Big Ten, and Pac 12 schools. Lawrence is a 5’10 guard who has offers from Boston University and Fairleigh Dickinson. Finally, Billy Thomas is a 2017 prospect who stands 6’0 and has offers from IUPUI, ETSU, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Hofstra, and Detroit. Apparently Maxwell was impressed:
Had a good time on my visit to Longwood university today 🐎 meet Shaquille Johnson to 😳😳bounce is unreal — Jahnathan maxwell (@jay_max_23) October 30, 2014
- The floor and lighting have been updated in Willett Hall this year with the new logo and the new secondary logo on the court as well. The new lighting now allows for the lights to be cut on and off quickly, as well in different areas of the gym. It was showcased a bit with the player intros last night.
— LancersBlog (@LancersBlog) October 29, 2014
- Coach Gee made a point to recognize and bring Tristan Carey and Antwan Carter out on the court last night. It’s good to see the embrace of past players at events like this one.
- The last bit of news is that Shaq Johnson can jump really high:
— .matt. (@getatmatta) October 30, 2014