Longwood fell 91-66 in Foggy Bottom tonight to George Washington but the final score might be a little deceiving.
Player of the Game| Lotanna Nwogbo: This one was no question. I really thought Kevin Larsen would run away with this one in the paint but it was Nwogbo that came away impressing everyone. He played with fire and posted a career high 25 points and 13 rebounds. He did have 5 turnovers but he was an absolute BEAST in the paint tonight.
- Let me vent a little… this one was shaping up for a good finish, here is evidence…
It is suddenly starting to feel like this game might end rather closely. D UP.
— Hail to the Buff (@hailtothebuff) November 27, 2014
It’s hard to pin a 25 point loss on the referees but they robbed us of a good finish. GW could do no wrong on the offensive end when it came to the referees. What was a kick ball on one side of the court didn’t exist on the other. Moving picks were off the charts and so were anticipation/out-of-position calls. The worst was Shaq Johnson who had a hard foul on Yuta Watanabe early in the game and then received a foul for sneezing the rest of the way. It really wasn’t fair both ways. Plus-20 free throw margin for GW tonight…
- Leron Fisher had a great offensive game and it will go totally unrecognized with a line of 2 points and 4 assists. Fisher played with confidence and even played the point with Quincy at the two guard for a long stretch in the second half.
- Speaking of Quincy Taylor, he kind of went missing until late in the second half again. He only played 7 minutes in the first half and finished with 12 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, and 1 assist. He missed one wide open three pointer about midway through the second half that would’ve been a huge momentum builder for the Lancers. He had his hands full tonight but he has to find a way to take over games. 3-for-12 from the field just isn’t going to get the job done.
- Shaq took flight twice tonight and posted 6 points and 3 assists. His turnover woes continued tonight with 5 and he just looks indecisive with the ball at times when he receives it on the wing with no guard help.
- At the beginning of this game it looked like it could’ve been Eastern Michigan 2.0 as Longwood was turning the ball over and really struggling against the 1-3-1. To Longwood’s credit they really perceived and had really solid ball movement the last 25 or so minutes of the game. Flashes of brilliance, that’s all I can say.
- DJ Allen had a solid night with 8 points, 3 rebounds and a block. Nothing to amaze you but a decent outing.
- Ryan Badowski was a non-factor until he got something going late with some big threes but then 60 year old fat guys squashed that momentum.
Longwood will now head to Iowa City to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes finishing up a the most brutal stretch of the schedule that the Lancers will see all year. Home sweet Willett…Come on December 3!